---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
             
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

64 Days





It was 3 weeks, 2 days when the double pink lines appeared. Not a day passed that I didn't agonize over every twinge, cramp, and wave of nausea. I was a nervous wreck. Google kept me in the know about miscarriage rates, pregnancy symptoms, miscarriage symptoms, HCG, progesterone, anything and everything in between.

3 weeks, 3 days. A blood test confirmed what the two pink lines first said. Another test in two days further confirmed that my HCG was doubling. My progesterone, on the other hand, was dropping. I was prescribed progesterone supplements to help encourage my progesterone to do what is should do on it's own. Ain't nothing fun about progesterone supplements, especially with a $200 price tag. But I willingly paid the price if it could save the little life growing within my own body. Google told me it would help. Google told me it wouldn't help at all.

6 weeks, 1 day. I saw the flicker of life on an ultrasound and it's hard to explain, but I just knew that baby was mine. My hopes and dreams for it's little life took flight and I kept thinking... “This heart could continue to beat for another 90 years without ceasing.” An almost incomprehensible thought. A miracle. Google informed me that the risk of miscarriage after seeing a heartbeat at six weeks decreased to >25%.

6 weeks, 3 days. I call from my doctor informed me had that I had a sub-chorionic hematoma. I was to cease any form of exercise and abide by pelvic rest in an attempt to lower a once again heightened risk of miscarriage. Google left me more confused than ever.

7 weeks, 1 day. I awoke with significantly worsened nausea. I spend my morning co-hosting a baby shower for a friend while trying not to get sick. Toward the end of the shower, it became evident that something other that morning sickness was happening. I made an early exit and rushed home in time to usher in the most violent sickness of my life. I didn't eat for 3 days. Google (for once) reassured me that stomach viruses typically have no negative impact on pregnancies.

7 weeks, 4 days. Feeling better, I managed to choke down more than a saltine and a sip of ginger ale. But I couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. The pregnancy symptoms I had been experiencing didn't seem as prominent. I couldn't tell if it was because they had truly diminished or if it was because, for the first time in four days, I didn't think I was going to die. Everything felt pretty good, in comparison. My 9-week ultrasound was a week and lifetime away. I couldn't wait to see (and hear!) that beautiful heartbeat again. But deep down, something wasn't right. Something that couldn't be explained by Google.

8 weeks, 6 days. We walked into the sterile room. I couldn't think. I couldn't breath. I could only feel my heart pounding in my chest. Minutes late, ultrasound confirmed what I somehow had already known for a week- my heart was the only one beating in my body. It was a missed miscarriage. Google says this is when the baby dies in utero, but the mother's body does not independently expel the baby.

The following morning I entered another sterile room and underwent a D&C. Google told me it was a common, low-risk surgery. Rarely were there complications. Google was right.

64 days of pregnancy. I couldn't alter it. I couldn't prevent it. I couldn't predict it. I couldn't avoid it. Google tells me that many women go on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies after miscarriage. I cling tight to that hope.

4 comments:

  1. Stumbled across your blog and I just wanted to give you some virtual internet hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my 2nd miscarriage almost exactly a year after my first. My first was on me and my husband's 2nd anniversary.

    The first time, they discovered that I had low progesterone at my 6 week appointment. I didn't feel pregnant at all. I took the suppositories and still miscarried naturally a week later. I cried for a week and then buried the grief.

    For the next year we tried and tried. I got all sorts of tests done. They said that nothing was wrong with me or my husband.

    The day before I left for my little sister's wedding, I got a positive test. We were cautiously thrilled. I went to my sister's wedding festivities and drank water and glowed. I had an appointment scheduled at 8 weeks, but at over 6 weeks, I had a tiny amount of bleeding. I rushed to the doctor. There was a heartbeat and I let out a sigh of relief.

    5 days later I started bleeding again. 2 days after that, I knew what was happening. I didn't go back to the doctor. I knew there was nothing to be done.

    That was a month and a half ago. I see babies everywhere. Since the first miscarriage, I've watched my best friend, my sister, and my sister-in-law get pregnant and have babies. I wanted to say "Wait! It was supposed to be my turn!" Everyone on facebook is having babies. I hide them from my newsfeed.

    I'm trying to not let the desire to have kids rule my life, but I'm also trying not to bury the grief. I want to be a mom, but now I am a wife, a friend, a sister, a daughter. There is a time for every season I'm trying to live in the moment and trust that there is a plan. I have to be intentional in the grief, and that has made me and my husband stronger as a couple. When the time comes, we will be more ready to be parents than we ever would have been a year and a half ago. This is the way that I have to look at things, but I also have to cry.

    We will both get through this time and become the people that we were meant to be... but it doesn't make this season much easier.

    XO Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Meredith. I cannot even imagine how hard a second miscarriage would be. Especially as women close to you are having babies. Isn't it strange how once you are ready to be a mother, it seems that everyone around you is having a baby EXCEPT you?? And each cycle seems to last an eternity. It's so hard. I wish I could just hug you. I personally know three women who had multiple consecutive miscarriages who went on to have perfectly healthy babies. We have to cling to that hope. If you'd ever like to talk more, please don't hesitate to email.

    Sending love,
    H

    ReplyDelete